Integrity Legal - Law Firm in Bangkok | Bangkok Lawyer | Legal Services Thailand Back to
Integrity Legal

Legal Services & Resources 

Up to date legal information pertaining to Thai, American, & International Law.

Contact us: +66 2-266 3698

ResourcesVisa & Immigration LawThailand Immigration LawAre Criminal Background Checks Required for Thai Retirement Visas?

Are Criminal Background Checks Required for Thai Retirement Visas?

Transcript of the above video:

As the title of this video suggests we are discussing criminal background checks in the context of Retirement Visas for Thailand.

Generally speaking, a criminal background check is required for those who are applying for a Retirement Visa to come to Thailand to retire. Depending on the jurisdiction you are in for example in the United States, depending on your state jurisdiction or for example other countries like the UK, this may or may not be a fairly straightforward endeavor. If you have to deal with the FBI in the United States depending on your circumstances, that can be rather time-consuming; it usually takes a matter of weeks. That said, different state authorities in the United States it may take no time at all. It may even be possible to do it online. That will vary from state to state. It is going to be circumstantially dependent exactly what you are going to need documentation-wise to prove up lack of criminal history. So again, these things are very much going to be fact dependent in your given case. I can't really give an overarching one-size-fits-all answer into how criminal background checks are going to be issued. That is going to depend very much on where you are coming from. 

That stated, it should be noted it is a requirement for retirees coming to Thailand to get an O-A Retirement Visa and as of now it is also part parcel with the process of getting a Certificate of Entry to Thailand. 

So for those of you who are watching this video who feel a bit overwhelmed about the whole Retirement Visa process, it may be a good idea to go ahead and contact a legal professional  and gain some insight and guidance into how best to proceed.